Acne is one of the most psychologically distressing conditions. It affects both teenage groups as well as adults over 30 years. Men and women are equally affected by this condition. Affected individuals may be self-conscious and socially isolated. If one is looking for expert treatment of acne, they can consider meeting Dr. Anu Kapoor and Dr. Parmil Kumar Sharma at CLINIC SKIN ESSENCE, Delhi
Acne is multifactorial in origin. The causes of acne include
- Genetics : One is more likely to get acne if one of their parents was affected by it. Genes do have a role to play in acne as the number, size, and activity of acne glands is inherited.
- Oily Skin : Acne is controlled by oil and sebum production on the face. The sebum production dramatically increases after puberty contributing to acne flare-ups seen in teenagers.
- Bacterial Infection : A bacteria named Propionibacterium acnes is present in the oil glands. It releases certain enzymes which lead to the formation of whiteheads, blackheads and active acne.
- Hormonal Influences : Women with POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME (PCOS) are more affected by acne due to the increased levels of male hormones.
Frequently Asked Questions
Acne is caused when the sebaceous gland produces excess oil, and this oil mixes with dirt, dead skin cells, pollutants, and bacteria resulting in clogged pores. Many other factors that cause acne are:
- Lack of hygiene
- Lifestyle factors
- Hormonal imbalance
- Poor diet
Acne commonly appears on the face and when it occurs in other body parts like chest, back, legs, arms, and shoulders, or any other body part, it is called body acne. Tight clothing, using poor skin care products, constant rubbing of the skin, wearing dirty clothes, not taking proper bath (lack of body hygiene), poor clothes fabrics, can cause body acne.
Many women experience acne during pregnancy. This type of acne is temporary and occurs due to hormonal changes. In some individuals, the skin will return to normal after delivery and in some, the decline in estrogen level after the childbirth makes acne can last longer (it will diminish once the level of the hormone is balanced again). But if acne is deep and severe like cystic acne, one must take help for an acne specialist doctor.
The link between acne and diet is always controversial and in many cases, food can cause acne. Food items like more refined carbohydrates, dairy products, fast food and foods with high-glycemic index can cause acne.
Book An Appointment
East Patel Nagar
Monday :10 AM - 2 PM4 PM - 9 PM
Tues & Wed :10 AM - 2 PM4 PM - 9 PM
Fri & Sat :10 AM - 2 PM4 PM - 9 PM
Sunday :10 AM - 2 PM4 PM - 9 PM
Mon to Wed :10 AM - 2 PM4 PM - 9 PM
Friday :10 AM - 2 PM4 PM - 9 PM
Saturday :11:30 AM - 2 PM4 PM - 8 PM
Sunday :10 AM - 2 PM4 PM - 8 PM
Acne Treatments at Clinic Skin Essence
We believe in a holistic approach to treat acne vulgaris. Our doctors do a thorough examination and detailed history taking with stress on aggravating factors, diet control, and hormonal evaluation.
We customize our acne treatments according to the grade, severity, and age of the patient. For our younger patients, we have specialized acne peels which are very mild. It includes a gentle cleansing followed by a light peel application. For mild acne as well as patients who do not want to take oral medicines, our doctors prescribe a variety of topical creams and gels as well as few nutritional supplements. For higher grades and severity of acne, we use systemic antibiotics as well as oral retinoids to settle the inflammation and infection faster.
We aim to reduce the lesion count as fast as possible to avoid unsightly scars and red marks later. We also perform adult acne peels which give mild exfoliation along with whiteheads and blackheads extraction. Carbon Peel/ Hollywood peel is a new treatment for active acne as well as open pores and red marks. In this procedure, a carbon paste is applied on the face and is left on for 15 minutes, to let it settle in the deep pores.
This is followed by a laser treatment which sucks away the impurities, dead cells and bacteria. In the end, a collagen mask is applied. This results in a visibly smoother, firmer and blemishes free skin.
So, if someone is suffering from acne and looking for suitable acne treatment in Delhi, they can visit us at CLINIC SKIN ESSENCE, East Patel Nagar and Dwarka - a one-stop solution for active acne as well as scars and marks.
Factors of Acne
A lot of factors can increase or aggravate acne, some of which include -
- Diet: Consuming foods which have a high glycemic index including sweets, milk and dairy products, fizzy carbonated drinks and junk food can increase acne.
- Makeup and cosmetics: Excessive use of oil-based cosmetics can increase the chances of getting acne.
- Hair oil and pomades
- Stress and emotional disturbances
- Use of certain bodybuilding supplements like anabolic steroids
Grades of Acne
Acne is graded from one to four.
- Grade 1 Corresponding to comedones only
- Grade 2 Includes mainly papules and few pustules
- Grade 3 Includes mainly pustules and few nodules
- Grade 4 Includes nodulocystic acne
*Opinions / Results may vary from person to person.